Proper hiring is critical to the success of your business. It not only ensures that critical tasks are completed, it ultimately results in higher quality, improved morale, greater customer satisfaction, and increased profits.
Throughout history, the principle of “Hiring the Best” has shown it’s value. Here are just 3 examples:
1. In ancient Egypt, Pharaoh put Joseph in charge of his business affairs. The result was unparalleled prosperity. The abundance that this resulted in allowed the Egyptians to survive a crisis that was life threatening on a national scale.
2. Henry Ford was asked how he, a man without any advanced education, was able to not just survive in business, but was actually able to succeed at an unequalled scale. He responded that he did not need to personally have all the knowledge required for his accomplishments. Mr. Ford stated that he hired only the best experts in their respective fields. It was their job to answer the questions he had, so that he could overcome the obstacles that Ford Motor Company faced as it grew and persevered through difficult times.
3. When asked what the key to his success was; H. Ross Perot, billionaire and founder of Electronic Data Systems (EDS), responded, “I always hire people smarter than myself.”
In order to effectively implement the strategy of “Hiring the Best”, make sure that you don’t fall into the trap of: “I can do it better myself”. Perhaps you can. But, it’s beneficial to remember these points:
1. If you do it all yourself, you will have to take time from your other tasks and responsibilities.
– Many of these other tasks and responsibilities will be things that only you can, or should, do!
– It will take you away from spending time on things that are important, rather than merely urgent.
– It will also mean that you may not have the time to do the things that you excel at the most. Remember, time is a non-renewable resource. Once it’s gone, it’s gone. You can’t replace it or get more of it
2. Doing everything yourself costs you money. Consider the value that you bring to your company. If the value that you add to your company is $100/hr. and you can hire someone else to perform some of the tasks that you now do for $20/hr., but don’t hire them, you just cost yourself $80/hr. Based on a 2000 hour work year, that’s $160,000.00!
“Hiring the Best” means that you, as well as the rest of your staff, don’t have to worry about the competency of the people who work with and for us. And, you don’t have to worry about the quality of the job when it is completed. Here are just a few of the benefits of “Hiring the Best”:
– Jobs performed don’t have to be redone
– Time, and therefore money, is saved.
– Customers are happier with us because of the quality, and timeliness, of our results.
– There are fewer crisis to deal with that are caused by improperly completed, or even failed projects and work orders.
– Stress is reduced.
– Morale throughout your company will improve.
– Your employees will take pride in knowing that excellence is truly a key value that is actively practiced at their place of employment.
By “Hiring the Best”, you get out of your own way. You have a happier, less stressful work environment. Your company morale and productivity increase. Your profits increase. You now have the time to explore the new opportunities for success that are constantly unfolding around you. And, you avoid the tyranny of the urgent. Those pesky problems that take us away from what is TRULY important for ourselves, our businesses, and even our families.
By “Hiring the Best”, the quality of your life will improve while increasing your profits!