Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is about getting your website to show up when people search for your products or services on the search engines. (Google, Bing, etc.)
A strong SEO strategy will:
· Attract new customers
· Give you an edge over your competitors
· Spread awareness of your company and products/services
· Reinforce your reputation for quality
SEO is not a 1-time thing. It takes ongoing, consistent effort:
· You can’t expect immediate results. SEO take time and ongoing effort to impact your search rankings.
· The search engines adjust their ranking algorithms as often as weekly. Your SEO efforts must adapt to these changes as they occur.
· You need to think long-term when developing your SEO plan.
Building your SEO plan:
· Decide if you’ll manage your SEO yourself or hire a professional that specializes in SEO. (Here’s a hint: According to Google, 19 out of 20 full-time, professional website developers are NOT ABLE to do full SEO. They can only do bits and pieces of it. And, most web developers tell me that they can’t even keep up with the constant changes that the search engines make to their search algorithms.)
· If you are going to DIY your SEO, begin by:
– Determine if you have the technical expertise, willingness and time to maintain your website SEO on a weekly basis,
– Take stock of your Internet presence. This includes website rankings for applicable keyword phrases, status of current website content, the state of needed technical updates to websites, social media sites you own, social media state and performance, on-line business directory listings and how accurate and current they are, Analytics for the site (to track website and SEO performance), frequency that you blog, to name a few.
A Few Tips For Better Search Rankings:
· Optimize your website and make sure it’s a responsive and scalable design.
· Enhance your reputation on-line with positive customer reviews.
· Write informative blogs.
· Develop product and/or service videos and photos for your website & social media profiles.
· Claim, correct and optimize your business listings on on-line directories